The John Howard Association (JHA) independently monitors correctional facilities, policies and practices, and advances reforms needed to achieve a fair, humane and effective criminal justice system.
Why does John Howard Association fight for criminal justice reform?
- We believe that all lives matter
- We believe in second chances
- We believe in government accountability and transparency
- We believe that Illinois deserves a fair, effective and humane prison system
- We believe that an informed citizenry is essential to such a system
JHA’s vision for Illinois is to achieve a smaller, rehabilitative criminal justice system that supports incarcerated individuals so they may return to society as productive citizens.
We are one of the most frequently quoted sources for reliable, independent information and commentary about Illinois' adult and juvenile prison system.
John Howard Association is a nonpartisan organization, and we receive no state or local government funding. Our funding comes from committed individuals and organizations interested in criminal justice reform.