The John Howard Association (JHA) independently monitors correctional facilities, policies and practices, and advances reforms needed to achieve a fair, humane and effective criminal justice system.
Why does John Howard Association fight for criminal justice reform?
- We believe that all lives matter
- We believe in second chances
- We believe in government accountability and transparency
- We believe that Illinois deserves a fair, effective and humane prison system
- We believe that an informed citizenry is essential to such a system
We are one of the most frequently quoted sources for reliable, independent information and commentary about Illinois' adult and juvenile prison system.
John Howard Association is a nonpartisan organization, and we receive no government funding. Our funding comes from committed individuals and organizations interested in criminal justice reform.